• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Golf Isn't a Sport

Straight Shooter

1,000 posts to go for my own user title!
It's a competition. It's a game. But it's not a sport. There is no defense in golf. There is no opposing force trying to stop you. You play by yourself and simply try to get a better score than the next guy. It's in the same category as darts. Billiards. Bowling. Poker

And I say this as a golf fan

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
How about auto racing? Adding liquor not recommended.

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
"To play golf is to spoil an otherwise enjoyable walk."
Heck, they barely even walk. They literally invented a vehicle just to avoid the one bit of physical activity in the "sport".

Except maybe carrying around your sports equipment - Oh wait, they literally have a person dedicated to carrying that for you as well.

Dog walking, house cleaning, mowing the lawn and shopping for groceries involve more physical activity than golf.

D-rock

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
I don't know how much I can even consider it a game. A game is something I would do for fun. From what I've ever seen people play golf to gradually infuriate themselves.

tvstrip

My understanding it's more of a front for legal (& illegal) business deals.

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
Is professional wrestling a sport?

D-rock

Is professional wrestling a sport?
If a pro wrestler is on cocaine while doing a promo is it considered a performance enhancing substance? At some level it has to be a reason why so many of the wrestlers of decades ago had better mic skills than anybody today. I mean if it came out that people like Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, Jake the Snake, Rick Flair, or the Honkey Tonk Man were somehow managing to pull off their skits without the aid of cocaine, booze, pain killers, and steroids they would be the real ones that should have gotten Oscars.

tvstrip

If a pro wrestler is on cocaine while doing a promo is it considered a performance enhancing substance? At some level it has to be a reason why so many of the wrestlers of decades ago had better mic skills than anybody today. I mean if it came out that people like Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, Jake the Snake, Rick Flair, or the Honkey Tonk Man were somehow managing to pull off their skits without the aid of cocaine, booze, pain killers, and steroids they would be the real ones that should have gotten Oscars.
This is such an important part of wrestling that non-fans fail to appreciate - it's literally live theatre. When you're on live TV, there are no scripts/cue cards to read from and no retakes. If you mess up on any other show, people are sympatric - in wrestling, you WILL be told "You FUCKED UP".

And it's not just about reciting the script. You have to constantly deal with jeers, "What?" chants etc. And you're constantly reading the crowd - if the promo is flopping, the best wrestlers know how to change it up. It's interactive. Sometimes the crowd will give you a different/unexpected reaction, and you roll with it.

And just when you think you've finally pulled off the promo... now you have to put on the actual wrestling match.

Johan

It's a competition. It's a game. But it's not a sport. There is no defense in golf. There is no opposing force trying to stop you. You play by yourself and simply try to get a better score than the next guy. It's in the same category as darts. Billiards. Bowling. Poker

And I say this as a golf fan
What about Pole-Jumping ? There's no defense, no opposing force. You jump by yourself and simply try to get a higher jump than the next guy.
Javelin-Throwing ?

And what about Chess. There's defense in Chess. There's an opposing force. To win the game, you need to defeat the other guy, to check-mate him. Would you consider it a sport ?
Are these two doing sport ?
flfevlqdtgm299htljjbhkx7f021suko.jpg

And what about this guy, would you consider he's not doing sport ?
Johannes%20Vetter%2091_50.jpg

Johan

How about Pole Dancing? It requires “strength, endurance, fitness, and creativity. There are even two disciplines: static pole and spinning pole.

https://amp.dw.com/en/pole-dancing-not-something-dirty-but-a-competitive-sport/a-59309409
Pole dancing is a bit particuliar.
Competitive pole dancing is, to me, a real sport. In a sense, it's not very different from Ice-skating : there's figures to make, an important artistic aspect, etc.
But there's also some pole-dancing in strip clubs and it's totally different because it's not that much about the figure, not about the artistic aspect, it's about turning on the audience, about being suggestive